Comcast’s TPX (Technology Product Xperience) organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Are you interested in predicting, then creating the future? Do you enjoy discovering, then mastering emerging technologies? Do you like creating stories that may take place several years in the future?
As a Principal Engineer on the Comcast Labs team, you will find the seek trends in science and technology, and investigate the most promising ones in order to shape the future of our company. Comcast Labs is composed of a small group of futurists who collaborate on analysis and demonstrations of future molding ideas. We are a team that thrives on staying ahead of trends and teaching others about their benefits.
Who does the Principal Engineer work with?
Comcast Labs engineers are positioned between the core product development teams and external scientific entities. We work with early-phase startups and established leaders in research and innovation alike. The Comcast Labs team is a diverse collection of outgoing futurists with a broad range of subject matter expertise. Our team members have led pioneering efforts in the areas of artificial intelligence, signal processing, extended reality, decentralized networks and user interface design, to name a few.
What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on?
In your role, you will discover and lead hands-on development of new concepts enabled by scientific advances. Research and conduct visionary talks on these efforts, Author patents, new open-source software projects, visual prototypes and storytelling.
Where can you make an impact?
You’ll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to configure science for use in our next generation of products, services and business ventures.
Determine the application of the latest technologies including artificial intelligence, blockchain and augmented reality to advanced lifestyles of our customers and productivity of our workplace.
- Follow a line of investigation into emerging areas of science and technologies
- Analyze, evaluate and validate the most promising areas of exploration
- Build prototypes and visual representations of future state of ideas
- Create shareable assets describing findings: written, oral and visual
- Construct rapid prototypes; both physical and programmed
- Author invention disclosures, research papers and open source software projects
- Deliver presentations and talks on discoveries
- Develop prototypes that illustrate promising research topics
Skills & Requirements:
- 5+ years new technology or product engineering (hardware and/or software) experience
- Experience writing core programming languages such as Java or C/ C++
- Autonomous Hardware prototype development expertise; robotics or control systems is a plus
- Ability to navigate Linux operating systems
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Comfortable working with new concepts and little history to draw direction from. Ability to create direction where none previously existed.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related Studies
About Comcast Labs
Comcast Labs serves as “the science of Comcast.” That means we’re dedicated to capturing the imagination when providing outstanding customer experiences. Our mission is to help the company succeed — amid known and unknown competition. We’re here to make sure there aren’t any “surprises.”
Our work is to identify, research, and prototype technologies that will surprise and delight our business and residential customers. It spans video, voice, broadband, and connectivity, and related tangents, for homes and businesses — and, more importantly, the people in them.
We’re a lean, focused group of ceaselessly curious, multi-faceted engineers and researchers, based in Philadelphia, Denver, and Silicon Valley. Our passion is to inform all Comcast departments and projects with research, data, and actionable information — about technological innovation.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer